With all of the different types of headaches and all the different types of causes, it is our job to find out your triggers… and address them!
Osteopathy may be effective for the relief of your headaches or migraines.
We take a full history and assess you. We need to find the why. Why are these headaches or migraines happening? Yep, we will ask lots of questions. This is the part of the process of investigating you, your headaches and your triggers. This will help to define good management plan best suited for you.
What will your osteo do?
After a full history and assessment, your osteo will explain what they have found from linking your history and examination findings together. They will then move into helping you to relieve the pain!
Techniques our osteopaths commonly use include:
- Soft and deep tissue massage to loosen off your muscles
- Traction of the joints to improve your range of motion
- Mobilisation and articulation of the joints to improve your range of motion
- Stretching of the muscles to lengthen them, and give you more flexibility through the area
- Dry needling – this is an extra form of treatment that our osteos have trained in further study for you – read our blog about dry needling here!
- High-velocity low-amplitude (HVLA) techniques, also known as the ‘clicking’ of the joints, for a short term relief from stiffness
These techniques are all combined to help relieve tension in your back, neck and shoulders which can be beneficial in reducing your headaches or migraines.
Your osteo will explain the whys and measures that can be useful to prevent your headaches or migraines. This can range from
- checking your work ergonomics
- checking your stress levels
- checking your hydration levels
- addressing your aggravating factors
- strengthening any muscles that are weakened
- stretching any regions that are overly tight
These will all be specific to you. There is no point giving work ergonomics advice to a stay at home mum who doesn’t sit at a desk! We find your triggers and help you specifically.
All of these can help you to manage your day to day goings, hopefully headache and migraine free!
There can always be some other underlying causes that can cause headaches and migraines. Our osteopaths are trained to question you on these and refer to your doctor immediately if they need to. It’s all about getting you the right care.
If you have any questions you would like to ask our Osteos, give us a buzz. We are more than happy to chat .
This blog post is an educational tool only. It is not a replacement for medical advice from a registered and qualified doctor or health professional.
Phone: (03) 9773 8085