Radial shockwave therapy – We’re shining the spotlight on one of our lesser-known forms of treatment.
Radial shockwave therapy as a valuable treatment modality, at times, flies under the radar. But it shouldn’t. Not only is it gentle and non-invasive. It is effective in treating a variety of conditions from tendonitis and tennis elbow, to muscle strains and shin splints.
Fact: around 80% of all patients report a substantial improvement after just three rounds of treatment.
What is shockwave therapy?
Shockwave therapy, also known as extracorporeal shockwave therapy (ESWT) or radial shockwave therapy, delivers high-pressure acoustic shockwaves to areas of chronic pain or discomfort. That is to say, it’s like a deep tissue massage, but much more intense.
To administer the treatment, our osteopaths use a handheld wand over the targeted area, allowing shockwaves to pass through the surface of the skin to stimulate pain relief and tissue repair. The device pulsates at a very high frequency, providing deep pressure treatment.
What conditions can it treat?
Studies suggest that radial ESWT is effective in treating a variety of conditions including (but not limited to):
- Chronic low back pain
- Heel pain (plantar fasciitis or heel spur syndrome)
- Achilles pain and tendinopathy
- Myofascial pain syndrome, such as in the trapezius
- Shin splints and pain
- Children’s knee pain (Osgood-Schlatter disease)
- Hamstring, shoulder, and patella tendinopathies
- Tennis and golfer’s elbow (lateral and medial epicondyle tendinopathy)
Talk to Total Balance Healthcare for more information on conditions shockwave therapy can treat.
Pain after shockwave therapy?
There may be some levels of discomfort during treatment. This depends on the level of pain that the patient is already experiencing in the area. However, since treatment only lasts for a few minutes, most can tolerate the discomfort quite easily. Pain following treatment is very uncommon. The majority of patients report a reduction in pain following the first treatment session.
Is shockwave therapy effective?
When looking at whether shockwave therapy is effective there are many factors involved. Here are a few of the reasons why ESWT is effective:
- Treatment is non-invasive
- Most patients feel a reduction in pain within the first 24 hours after treatment
- Shockwaves can stimulate the reversal of chronic inflammation, stimulation of collagen, and dissolution of calcium build-up
- One session of radial shockwave therapy is equivalent to 7500 eccentric exercises
- It helps to break down any stiff or scarred tissue
- Increases flexibility and softness of the soft tissue
- Promotes circulation and healing
- No anaesthesia is required
- No medication is required
- High success rates and improved quality of life
How much does shockwave therapy cost?
Above all, our main goal is to find the cause of your pain. Subsequently, we devise an evidence-based treatment plan to resolve it. Once we have assessed your condition we can discuss how much shockwave therapy costs. If or you feel more comfortable call our clinic for further information.
Why choose Total Balance Healthcare?
Our experienced therapists keep up with the latest news, studies, and techniques surrounding radial shockwave therapy. As a result you can trust us to deliver a treatment plan that suits your condition. You can rest assured that we also use modern and certified equipment.