Shockwave Therapy in Chelsea Heights
Shockwave Therapy What is it?
Shockwave therapy is a non-invasive treatment modality, which uses high-intensity sound waves to interact with the tissues in your body via a specialised handpiece. Originally used in urology for the treatment of kidney stones, it has since been shown to be an effective non-surgical option in musculoskeletal conditions including tendinopathies, bursitis, calcific changes and ligament injuries.
Shockwave therapy may be suggested as a first-line treatment for these conditions, usually in combination with other manual therapy, movement strategies and rehabilitative exercise.
Shockwave Therapy How does it work?
The proposed effects of shockwave therapy include:
- Promotes neovascularization (new blood vessel growth)
- Stimulate proliferation of tenocytes which help stimulate collagen production
- Reversal of chronic inflammation
- Amplifies growth factor to stimulate tissue repair
- Reduction in trigger point intensity and pain relief
These can be explored in more detail via our Shockwave blog.